Re: Tasks for GNUstep going forward...

From: Andreas Wagner
Subject: Re: Tasks for GNUstep going forward...
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 16:20:05 +0100

Hello ZuLuuuuuu, hello list,

* ZuLuuuuuu wrote on Dez/05/2007:
My suggestions are: UseBB (http://www.usebb.net/community) or PunBB (http://punbb.org/forums). I like UseBB better, though.

I think whatever we use, we should make sure that the forum allows for sending/replying of posts via email (and possible integration with the mailing list), as that's what the current members of the GNUstep community are used to.

Most forum software have "notification via email" feature.
[snip]
But I don't know any forum software that allows sending messages via email...

Again, most forum software has "private messages" from and to registered members. These either remain on the forum, so-to-say, and you get an alert that you have sth. in your forum's inbox (either when you come to the forum and/or by email), or they can be sent directly to your mail account (which isn't revealed but which you had to specify when registering).

I /think/ UseBB has neither of those (there's a note on it's features page
saying it doesn't provide PMs).
I know for sure that PunBB offers the 'direct email' option.
I know for sure that phpBB offers the 'onboard' option with all kinds of alerts but I don't know if it supports to email to someone's email account directly.

(UseBB refers to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_Internet_forum_software, maybe that is a good place to start a more thorough research...)

HTH,
Andreas

--
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit...

--
My Public PGP Keys:
1024 Bit DH/DSS: 0x869F81BA