Re: NSURL loading system

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: NSURL loading system
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:25:49 +0100

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 11:49:02AM +0000, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> PS. If all you want is support for authentication ... it should be
> fairly easy to add that to NSURLConnection based on the code in
> NSURLHandle because the code in NSURLHandle already uses the new Apple
> classes to handle authentication.  It supports (and is quite well
> tested for) both basic and digest authentication.

Ok, will try that.

> On the other hand, if you want HTTPS support in NSURLConnection on
> ms-windows, there is rather more work to be done as it needs SSL to be
> added to NSStream.  The current HTTPS support in NSURLHandle is not
> NSStream based and does not work on ms-windows,.  I think adding
> support for SSL (ideally using GNUTLS, but perhaps optionally using
> OpenSSL) to NSStream for both unix and windows would be great, and
> would make adding HTTPS support to NSURLConnection almost trivial.

Noted. That could be a good way to contribute.

One quick question : synchronous operations in NSURLHandle (and other
classes if I remember correctly) use their asynchronous counterparts
and a busy wait loop. Isn't it possible to read/write synchronously
and 'select' on those operations instead ? Maybe it's too much work
for too little benefit ?

Thanks,
Philippe
--
L'espoir, c'est la tension artérielle du fonctionnaire... Michael Petit