Re: how to install a tool into GNUSTEP_*_ADMIN_TOOLS

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: how to install a tool into GNUSTEP_*_ADMIN_TOOLS
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 09:05:42 +0000

On 29 Dec 2007, at 07:41, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

Hi,

I tried to figure out how I can install a admin tool into the directory
pointed by the various GNUSTEP_*_ADMIN_TOOLS variables.
So first I tried to rename the TOOL_NAME statement in the GNUmakefile to
ADMIN_TOOL_NAME, but that did not work at all.
Then I waded through the makefiles, but wherever these variables are used,
it seems it is only used to build the PATH environment variable.

To control where a tool 'mytool' is installed, you need a line of the form
mytool_INSTALL_DIR = xxx
in your makefile.

For instance, to install gdomap in the system admin area you could write

gdomap_INSTALL_DIR = $(GNUSTEP_ADMIN_TOOLS)

I tried to take a look how gdomap is installed, but first it is a CTOOL, and second it also ends up in /usr/local/bin instead of /usr/local/sbin where I
expected it.

I guess because gnustep has never used a separate 'Admin' area for anything. I don't think we have a policy on what gnustep tools (if any) should go in the admin area.