Re: how to install a tool into GNUSTEP_*_ADMIN_TOOLS

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: how to install a tool into GNUSTEP_*_ADMIN_TOOLS
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 10:37:14 +0100

Hi,

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 29 Dec 2007, at 07:41, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to figure out how I can install a admin tool into the
> > directory
> > pointed by the various GNUSTEP_*_ADMIN_TOOLS variables.
> > So first I tried to rename the TOOL_NAME statement in the
> > GNUmakefile to
> > ADMIN_TOOL_NAME, but that did not work at all.
> > Then I waded through the makefiles, but wherever these variables
> > are used,
> > it seems it is only used to build the PATH environment variable.
>
> To control where a tool 'mytool' is installed, you need a line of the
> form
> mytool_INSTALL_DIR = xxx
> in your makefile.
>
> For instance, to install gdomap in the system admin area you could write
>
> gdomap_INSTALL_DIR = $(GNUSTEP_ADMIN_TOOLS)

that was the missing piece, its now installed exactly where I want it to.

> > I tried to take a look how gdomap is installed, but first it is a
> > CTOOL, and
> > second it also ends up in /usr/local/bin instead of /usr/local/sbin
> > where I
> > expected it.
>
> I guess because gnustep has never used a separate 'Admin' area for
> anything.
> I don't think we have a policy on what gnustep tools (if any) should
> go in the admin area.
ah, ok. I just thought the gdomap binary would be installed into an admin
directory as the gdomap manual page is installed in section 8.
However, thats not a problem for me, I only wanted to get my tools installed
in such a directory.

thanks a lot
Sebastian