Window flickering (Was: Question on mini windows)

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Window flickering (Was: Question on mini windows)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:40:00 +0100

Andreas Schik wrote:
> On 2008-01-10 22:15:31 +0100 Sas(o Kiselkov <skiselkov@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> It used to work on gnustep-gui-0.11 without any problem. Also, when I
>

>> I can confirm that. gui-0.12 worked for me as well.
>
> run an app in my X environment, it start spawning a window a large
> number of times over and over again (basically, it appears as a small
>  window flickering) for about two seconds. After that the app starts
> up normally. Any subsequent app launching (of either the same app or
>  different ones) doesn't cause the flickering anymore. Any
>> This I have seen as well, but i occurs in -gui-0.12, too. I think
>> it is somehow related to Étoilé as I watched this flicker appear
>> the first time after installing Étoilé.

No, it isn't Etoile. This is the test used by GNUstep to find out about
the window borders. The idea here is to check all combination of border
settings once and to store the resulting window borders for these. The
values get cached on the root window, that is why you see it only for
one GNUstep applications. This wont be needed in the future, when more
and more window manager will adopt the new _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS
protocol. The code for this is already in GNUstep, just try it once with
Gnome.

> gnustep-gui-0.11 app doesn't cause anything of the like. If it
> weren't for Gorm, I'd still be using gui-0.11 anyways.

This feature has been around since September 2006 and the 0.11 release
was done in August 2006. We currently have no way to turn this feature
off via a default setting. If there is a demand for such a setting (It
will result in less accurate window placing!), we may well implement it.