Re: LLVM

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: LLVM
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:17:25 +0100 (CET)

> actually I asked Nicola about LLVM on FOSDEM ;-) License issues aside,
> I also think that it sounds very promising.

Unfortunately the license issues are very important. ;-)

The license determines the duty and rights of the various parties; because
at the moment we are the "weak" party in any effort to write and maintain
an Objective-C compiler/runtime (weak in comparison to Apple), it is important
to look at the license and think about how it protects our interests -
particularly
in the worst case scenario. :-(

It's easy to assume that Apple will always be nice to the community and so the
license does not matter, but in fact it does, particularly in the long term.

If Apple will always be nice to the community, why don't they change the
license
to explicitly say so ? :-)

You are free to disagree and go contribute to LLVM.  I have no problems
with that.  Maybe it will be a great successful project and everything
will always be fine with its corporate sponsors. :-)

But maybe not - I'd really prefer something with a stronger free license
to be used - such as ... GCC. :-)

Thanks