Re: Google SoC

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Google SoC
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 15:24:06 +0100

Hi Keith,

On 3 Apr 2008, at 12:08, Keith Duncan wrote:

Having read through your list of ideas I'm most interested in working on the CoreData implementation to gain a deeper understanding of the framework.

Could be interesting for people porting applications from OS X.

I've also been thinking about ideas not on the list, something that I feel would be worthwhile would be updating the frameworks to include some of the latest Leopard additions, ensuring that other can continue to consult the framework implementations.

There are also quite a few of missing methods from Leopard and earlier. Getting up to feature-parity with Leopard in Foundation and AppKit would be great, although probably more work than a summer project (NSOutlineView, for example, was heavily extended in Leopard).

Another idea I considered was attempting to implement an Objective-C 2.0 compatible runtime, essentially revamping the runtime modeled on the work Apple has already done, though perhaps this is too great an undertaking for one person?

I have already implemented a new runtime which is capable of supporting the features of Objective-C 2.0 and am currently in process of adding compiler support for it to LLVM. Most of the features of Objective-C 2.0 are in the compiler, rather than the runtime (it's mostly syntactic sugar - although considering how bad most of it is syntactic salt might be a better term), so this is more of a compiler project than a GNUstep one. The GCC team might be interested in a project to port these things from the Apple branch to trunk.

Before applying I would like to ask about the front/backend separation and to what extend it will influence the code I would be writing.

Back provides a DPS-like interface to -gui. It is very unlikely that your code will touch back at all.

As far as I can tell this applies only to drawing code, understandably the code needs to run on multiple platforms. I'm assuming the ideas I have discussed are in the domain of the frontend code, except maybe the new runtime implementation? The reason I ask is that I only have access to a 32 bit Intel Mac OS 10.5 development environment and as such, I wouldn't be able to test any WIN32 based backend. I do hope this doesn't preclude me from applying.

I hope you intend to run some other OS inside a VM for development, if this is the case, since GNUstep does not currently work on Leopard.

David