Re: GNUstep on Ubuntu Hardy and Debian Testing.

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Ubuntu Hardy and Debian Testing.
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 04:22:08 -0700 (PDT)

Quentin Mathé wrote:

> Le 30 avr. 08 à 09:18, Truls Becken a écrit :
>
>> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Rubens_Septimus
>> <patrick.cardona@free.fr> wrote:

>>> There is a also a new problem : with Camaelon and Nesedah.theme,
>>> there is an
>>> arrow after each menu item entry in the horizontal menu bar. I
>>> think this
>>> should not happen. Maybe another defaults option to add to avoid
>>> this side
>>> effect ?
>>
>> Or maybe Camaelon needs to take NSMenuInterfaceStyle into account?
>
> That's a possibility, you may take a look at EtoileWildMenus which
> takes care of that iirc. The problem doesn't arise with Étoilé because
> Camaelon is used together with the menu server and EtoileWildMenus (a
> fork of WildMenus that integrates with the menu server and Camaelon).

Hi Quentin,

I know the great job you are doing with the Etoile project, and thanks again
for your attention. But I would distinguish the two ways of getting things
to work, in my opinion :

1°) A newbie like me needs an efficient way to install things together : I
mean an installer or a package manager, dealing with dependencies about
stable libs, apps or bundles. So, with .deb at this point of vue, I can't
get now Etoile components or new ones  working together within the GNUstep
stable core because there are not still stable .debs available to do it. So
I tried to use svn, or both binaries and svn, and it was too difficult at my
knowledge level to success. So I agree with the idea the existing WildMenus
in this state, for example, should not be available for installing from a
stable list of packages because it obviously breaks the things and makes
people like me getting a bad idea how the things should work.
2°) A developer with experience and great knowledge about different choices
can do the whole things from svn, because he knows how to resolve
dependencies and preparing the whole system in a development way. But I'm
afraid I could never success in this way because of my poor knowledge. I try
to learn, but I'm not a programmer.

So, according to the first way - for newbies like me - my question might be
: is the Camaelon theme engine specific to Etoile or is it well integrated
within GNUstep specs so I can use it, without the need to install from svn ?
I think some clarification about this for people like me could help more my
understanding of things.