Re: File icon in title bar

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: File icon in title bar
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 04:02:31 -0700

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Nicolas Roard <nicolas.roard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Matt Rice <ratmice@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Andreas Höschler <ahoesch@smartsoft.de>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> when opening a file (*.pdf, *.rtf,...) on MacOSX the title bar of the
>>> corresponding window does not show only the represented filename but also
>>> contains an icon representing the file. This icon can be used to drag the
>>> file to a terminal session, into an email or to a folder in Finder.app. This
>>> is extremely convenient and something I am missing in GNUstep. Is anybody
>>> working on this or has worked on this recently?
>>
>> not recently but I wrote a bundle for it about 4 years ago, not sure
>> if it still works...
>>
>> http://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/contrib/NiftyTitleBar-0.0.2.tar.gz
>
> Note that this will only work if gnustep is set as being its own window
> manager.
> (iirc)

yeah you recall correctly,

there doesn't appear to be any standard properties on the
freedesktop.org WM spec which would be useful for this so i'm sure if
someone wants to make something up propose it to freedesktop and make
it work with some window manager, it'd be fairly easy to add something
to the x11 backends

i'd intended to do this with my windowmanager but got bored while
refactoring some code and have't really ever picked it up...

I also remembered about this patch for terminal which i found useful..

http://web.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/Terminal-filename.patch

then something like this in bashrc and iirc it'll put the cwd in the
represented filename,
so you can drag it to a file manager or whatever

case $TERM_PROGRAM in
    GNUstep_Terminal*)
        PS1='\033]3;\w\007\033]0;\u:\w\007(-: '
        ;;
    *)
esac

don't think this has been applied to Terminal as its hard to say if 3
has some other conflicting behaviour for other terminal emulators.