Re: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: Re: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 09:40:46 -0700 (PDT)

Rubens_Septimus wrote:

> Quentin Mathé wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Le 16 mai 08 à 01:37, Rubens_Septimus a écrit :
>>
>>> I had a GNUstep running a few weeks with Wmaker, GWorkspace and so
>>> on, all
>>> from deb packages from Ubunutu Hardy, but with buggy printing. Well,
>>> GC
>>> explained to me that Ubuntu packages were out of date. I was told to
>>> make it
>>> all by myself from source, so I did it again with gnustep-startup
>>> and all
>>> went well and pretty good at this moment. I used 'sudo -E make
>>> install' to
>>> finish this gnustep install : oK.
>>>
>>> But things now begin complicated for my poor knowledge :
>>>
>>> If I try also to build from Etoile svn, the OgreKit can't build :
>>> /home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/
>>> Frameworks/OgreKit/OgreKit/OGRegularExpression.h:109:
>>> erreur: expected specifier-qualifier-list before «regex_t»
>>> In file included from NSString_OgreKitAdditions.m:15:
>>> /home/patrick/Technique/Construction_GNUstep/Etoile/Etoile/
>>> Frameworks/OgreKit/OgreKit/OGRegularExpressionMatch.h:33:
>>> erreur: expected specifier-qualifier-list before «OnigRegion»
>>> make[5]: *** [obj/NSString_OgreKitAdditions.o] Erreur 1
>>> make[4]: *** [RegularExpression.all.subproject.variables] Erreur 2
> [...]
>> WITH_GNUSTEP_DEVEL.
>>
>>> I wonder what all
>>> the GNUstep dev use : maybe OS X ? I'm very confused...
>>
>> I personally use Ubuntu as some GNUstep/Etoile devs do.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Quentin.

> I am a noob : I did not see the file INSTALL.Ubuntu... So, now I have read
> it and added the missing packages (libonig-dev...) and I can go further,
> but I get a new error while building Corner :
>
> Build Project: Corner
>
>   /home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/Corner Corner
> Making all for tool Corner...
>  Compiling file Corner.m ...
> Dans le fichier inclus à partir de Corner.m:1:
> /home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/Corner/Corner.h:3:30: erreur:
> StepTalk/StepTalk.h : Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
> In file included from Corner.m:1:
> /home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/Corner/Corner.h:14: erreur:
> expected specifier-qualifier-list before «STEnvironment»
> /home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/Corner/Corner.h:15: erreur:
> expected specifier-qualifier-list before «STEngine»
> Corner.m: Dans la fonction «-[Corner init]» :
> Corner.m:51: erreur: «scriptingEnvironment» undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> Corner.m:51: erreur: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> Corner.m:51: erreur: for each function it appears in.)
> Corner.m:51: erreur: «STEnvironment» undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> Corner.m:52: erreur: «smalltalkEngine» undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> Corner.m:52: erreur: «STEngine» undeclared (first use in this function)
> Corner.m: Dans la fonction «-[Corner invokeActionForCorner:]» :
> Corner.m:124: erreur: «smalltalkEngine» undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> Corner.m:125: erreur: «scriptingEnvironment» undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> make[4]: *** [obj/Corner.o] Erreur 1
> make[3]: *** [Corner.all.tool.variables] Erreur 2
> make[3]: quittant le répertoire «
> /home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/Corner »
> make[2]: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2
> make[2]: quittant le répertoire «
> /home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private »
> make[1]: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2
> make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/patrick/ETOILE/Etoile/Services »
> make: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2
>
> I am not sure making things the right way :
> 1°) I made first GNUstep core from sources
> make 2.0.5
> Foundation 1.15.3
> AppKit 0.13.2
> Backend 0.13.2
> 2°) I start gdomap with a script within /etc/init.d
> 3°) I start  gdnc and gpbs with WindowMaker autostart (until I get Azalea
> running)
> 4°) I got Etoile from SVN and do "make".
> Is that the right way ?
>
> Any idea what is wrong now with Corner ?

Now I can make apps like GWorkspace. So my GNUstep seems good. After that, I
made StepTalk 0.10.0, and then, after a make clean, tried Etoile again from
svn : now, I go further, but still encounter an error :
make did all the stuff without any error
The error occured while doing : sudo -E make install in AboutEtoileEntry :

Making all in Subprojects/AboutEtoileEntry...
make[4]: entrant dans le répertoire «
/home/patrick/gnubuntu01/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/MenuServer/Subprojects/AboutEtoileEntry
»
Making all for bundle AboutEtoileEntry...
 Creating AboutEtoileEntry.sysbarentry/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist...
/bin/sh: plmerge: not found
make[5]: *** [AboutEtoileEntry.sysbarentry/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist]
Erreur 127
make[4]: *** [AboutEtoileEntry.all.bundle.variables] Erreur 2
make[4]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/patrick/gnubuntu01/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/MenuServer/Subprojects/AboutEtoileEntry
»
make[3]: *** [internal-all] Erreur 2