RE: GNUstep.conf or source ?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: GNUstep.conf or source ?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 21:40:27 +0200 (CEST)

> 1°) Why I need to add the source GNUstep.sh in .bashrc to exec an app while
> it is said around to be necessary only to build it, not to exec it.
> 2°) Why the /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf configuration file seems to be
> useless.

You are probably using the default 'gnustep' flattened layout. :-)

From core/make/FilesystemLayouts/gnustep --

# If the layout is flattened, it's still a good idea to source
# GNUstep.sh if it's not too much trouble for you, else you can
# manually add /usr/GNUstep/System/Tools and /usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools
# to your PATH, /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries and
# /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
# /etc/ld.so.conf + ldconfig).
#
# To use gnustep-make in this environment, source GNUstep.sh or use
# 'export GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles'.

If you want a more 'native' layout, you can try for example to configure
gnustep-make as in

./configure --with-layout=fhs

In this case, the comments in core/make/FilesystemLayouts/fhs apply --

# Make sure you have /usr/local/bin in your PATH, and /usr/local/lib
# in your /etc/ld.so.conf (or equivalent for your Unix), and don't
# forget to run ldconfig after installing a library!  To use
# gnustep-make in this environment, use 'export
# GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/usr/local/share/GNUstep/Makefiles'

If you don't want to run ldconfig after each library, you may want to
add /usr/local/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH instead. ;-)

Thanks