Re: RFC: Non-fragile ivars

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: RFC: Non-fragile ivars
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 17:29:51 +0100

On 3 Jun 2008, at 15:41, hns@computer.org wrote:

"Posing is deprecated in Mac OS X v10.5. The poseAsClass: method is
not available in 64-bit applications on Mac OS X v10.5."

http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Cocoa/RN-ObjectiveC/index.html#/ /apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40004309-DontLinkElementID_10

"All instance variables in 64-bit Objective-C are non-fragile."

But: where do we really need class posing (although I like the
concept)?

I like class posing, and use it in a few places, so I don't want to deprecate or remove it. I would, however, add a run-time check that ensures that every instance variable in the posed class is in the same place as the posed class. I already do this run time checking for mixins an traits, so there's no problem adding it for posing.

David