RE: GNUstep make with differently-named makefiles

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: GNUstep make with differently-named makefiles
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:18:32 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Michael,

> Can GNUstep make use a file other than the default 'GNUmakefile'?  In
> (p)make you just use '-f othermakefile.. '.

Yes.  You do it as in

make MAKEFILE_NAME=othermakefile

I couldn't find it documented anywhere though.  I'll add it to the output
of 'make print-gnustep-make-help' so hopefully it will be easier to find
for other people in the future ;-)

> Want to build the same code linking to different libraries, including
> different headers etc and would like to keep the settings in different
> make files as I do for plain C builds.

OK.  You can also consider conditionally including different makefile fragments.
Ie, something like

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

TOOL_NAME = tool
tool_OBJC_FILES = main.m

ifeq ($(MICHAEL_TYPE_OF_BUILD),quick)
 include quick-settings.make
else
 include other-settings.make
endif

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/tool.make

and then you put all your different library/flag/etc. settings in
quick-settings.make
and other-settings.make.  You can easily switch between the two by doing

 make MICHAEL_TYPE_OF_BUILD=quick

versus

 make

(obviously change the variable names to whatever suits you).  Not sure if it
appeals
to you - just an idea.

> Whilst I am at it, a Q that will be coming up in the next few days is
> 'how do I call a different compiler than the system default?'.  Haven't
> looked into this one yet so maybe the answer is written somewhere,
> before someone shouts RTFM...

Usually

make CC=mygcc

should work.  Or, if you're using a different makefile, put CC=mygcc in the
makefile itself (after including common.make). ;-)

Thanks