Re: newbee question

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: newbee question
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:20:24 -0700 (PDT)

On 31 Jul., 21:32, Jason Hanneman <jason.hanne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all, I am new to discussion lists and how they work. I think
> this question has probably come up before so I apologize ahead of time
> for asking. My question is: Does anyone know if there are plans to
> bring Objective-C 2.0 to GNU ? If so, is there information on this
> topic somewhere? I was just wondering how far this is coming along if
> there are plans for it.
>
> Thanks!
> Jason

Yes, there are plans but AFAIK no stable results.

Basically, ObjC-2.0 (as a language) should/will become part of
gcc-4.?. And it needs some additional runtime support.

After that, we can start to use the new features in GNUstep (standard
libraries) and applications. But - such a step has to be done
carefully since we would require all users to upgrade to a specific
version of gcc. This will reduce options for older systems. GNUstep
still compiles and works with gcc 2.95.3.

Therefore, there is also a different approach: a preprocessor which
translates objc-2.0 to objc-1.0. But because of lack of interest (and
experience), there isn't much progress so far and we have not tested
how far we come with it (volunteers welcome!!!). Here some link:

http://www.quantum-step.com/download/sources/mySTEP/objc-2.0/

-- hns