Re: CoreData clone

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: CoreData clone
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:55:13 -0700 (PDT)

On 15 Sep., 21:57, Mirko Viviani <mi...@objectlab.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the other day I've came across a CoreData clone from the Omni folks.
> I haven't tryed it yet but I think it isn't easily portable to gnustep.

Usually, it should not be difficult unless they mix Core Foundation
and Cocoa Foundation. Linking libsqlite3 isn't difficult.

> You can grab the source here:
>
> http://www.omnigroup.com/developer/

Well, they write: "OmniDataObjects provides a CoreData-like API, but
with a much smaller feature set (and thus implementation). Built on
top of SQLite, OmniDataObjects provides the persistence for OmniFocus
on the Mac and iPhone."

So without looking deeply into it I would assume that it is more an
SQLite wrapper than a CoreData clone (which provides data models).

> Here a javascript cocoa/objc clone... a quite strange and interesting
> implementation:
>
> http://www.cappuccino.org

It is a great technology idea. There are also other comparable "AJAX"
approaches moving Obj-C to JavaScript. So, let's see how they succeed.
All these approaches have IMHO the problem that they run in the
Browser's JavaScript engine which imposes some limitations. If you
want to do e.g. CoreData or more sophisticated Graphics I assume the
performance goes down. This is where compiled Obj-C has its strenghts.
So they have no direct relation to GNUstep - except some parallelity
on a very high abstraction level.

Does anyone have looked deeply enough if these solutions can read NIB
files so that interfaces can be designed WYSIWYG?

BR,
Nikolaus