Re: GNUStep on Windows

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUStep on Windows
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:09:13 -0600

On Oct 22, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Chris Karr wrote:

Over the long run, I was curious whether using GNUStep as a foundation for native Windows development is a robust strategy. As a software developer myself, I understand well the challenges of deploying robust code, but I doubt that my users will be as understanding. If there's something obviously wrong that I'm doing, please let me know.

I think it will be. I've been working on making the Windows Installer available for almost a year now, and I've just barely started to understand all the pitfalls that can come with Windows. Sometimes just adding some innocuous library can completely mess up the symbol table and cause GNUstep apps to not run - so you have to be careful about adding additional functionality, even if it is well tested on other platforms. In general, dealing with Windows problems can drive you mad.

But we are definitely getting more focused on Windows releases - to the point where Windows will probably be a reference platform soon (if not already) - where we won't release a version until it works on Windows.

Also getting a more native Windows feel is part of that strategy. Although we could definitely use more help here. Anything you can contribute back to GNUstep would be appreciated.