Re: Please do not hardcode GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN in GNUmakefiles!

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Please do not hardcode GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN in GNUmakefiles!
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:54:24 +0000

This is just a reminder that GNUstep's full support of FHS makes even
more important
that all software must install into LOCAL unless told otherwise by the
user. :-)

I have a lot of sympathy for this approach... but if no one is special
anymore also consider what this means wrt -make and all those rc- scripts
currently sourcing GNUstep.sh ...

I'm not saying that -make needs to be special... I'm just saying we need
to think about this very hard.

Currently, gnustep-make defaults to using a GNUstep filesystem layout
when installed from scratch (and there is definitely no plan to change that) and installing into /usr/GNUstep. We could, I suppose, change that default location to be /usr/local/GNUstep - is that what you were suggesting ? That does feel a bit shocking at first, but maybe it is the right thing to do! Comments
welcome. :-)

Thanks