Re: gnustep debian app developer env setup (help needed)

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: gnustep debian app developer env setup (help needed)
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 08:13:54 +0100

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2008, 20:32 -0800 schrieb Scott Christley:

> Etch is old.  My suggestion is to move to Lenny.  I'm using Lenny to
> package up some software which relies upon GNUstep, and it seems
> pretty stable.

Both gdl2/gsweb should build fine out of the box on both on both Etch
and Lenny.  Currently Lenny is still reasonably up to date, yet it's in
freeze so that will change gradually.

> However, I don't believe that gsweb or sope have been packaged for
> Debian, so you would need to build them from source.

Indeed.  And I don't have any experience with gsweb /and/ sope being
installed on the same system.  I would assume that there would be
conflicts as the provide partially the same API (ie headers).

> Debian seems the best in my opinion.  Ubuntu is good too as its debian-
> based, and may actually be a better deployment platform with their
> long-term support releases.

I don't see any reason why Ubuntu should not work, yet I have no
experience about building on Ubuntu.  So there may be some minor initial
issues but they should easily be resolved.

> On Nov 4, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Elim Qiu wrote:
> >
> > I'm WebObjects-ObjC developer for many years and decide to switch to
> > debian/gnustep since gnustep, gsweb and sope are really the
> > platforms to
> > continue my work.
> >
> > I start with a fresh installation of debian etch and found gnustep
> > need many
> > newer packages than what etch stable provides. So my questions:
> > (1) Is there a source.list for all the base env packages that gnustep
> > needed, so that I can keep updating gcc, gobjc etc along with gnustep
> > updates?

Nope... currently GDL2 is packaged as gnustep-dl2 yet I'd advise to
compile from source.

> > (2) Or maybe the way to go is to setup a cvs(svn?) access to check
> > out the
> > new releases and update gnustep?

Indeed.

svn checkout http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/gdl2/trunk gdl2
svn checkout http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/gsweb/trunk gsweb

> > (3) Is there a check list for all the prequirement of gnustep

These are the packages we install, yet note that we do not install any
GUI components and I'm not 100%:

build-essentials
gobjc-multilib

libffi5-dev
libxml2-dev
libxslt1-dev
zlib1g-dev
apache2-prefork-dev
postgresql-client

> > Any reasons to convince me that debian is better than other linux
> > brands in
> > developing gnustep apps? I see debian uses older kernels, older
> > packages
> > than some other linux.

Only that it's the distribution that we use (David Wetzel uses
NetBSD)... But like I said, if you prefer Ubuntu, please try and report
any issues and we'll try to take care of them ASAP.

Cheers,
David