Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:11:16 +0000

In fact, if we wanted to provide a specific mechanism to install in a non-standard domain to encourage people to do it, that mechanism ought to be one to install packages in the USER domain, since that is actually the logical place for users to (by default) install stuff they build themselves. The only reason (afaik) we install into the local domain by default is because that is the historical expectation in the free software community (everything installs into /usr/local generally) as most systems don't have a USER domain.

Yes, I agree that the USER domain is a good place to put things that you are developing yourself ... it also means that you don't need to become root to install them! :-)

I used to do that all the times a few years ago ... you install the 'core' stuff in its default location (LOCAL) (it doesn't matter where it's installed) and then you install your own application/framework/library/whatever you're working on into USER. It works really well. Also, if you never become root, you can't install your stuff
by mistake into LOCAL or such.

I encourage people to try this out as it works really well for me. :-)

The disadvantage is that you have to source GNUstep.sh, else the USER domain doesn't work.

Thanks