Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:30:27 +0100

Nicola Pero wrote:

You just need to copy the new file installation-domains.conf from core/make to the same
directory where your GNUstep.conf is (usually /etc/GNUstep/), then edit it to suit your installation domain "needs", listing which packages you want in which installation
domain by default.

That's it. :-)

This new configuration file is optional and is read if it exists and ignored otherwise. It is not installed by default by gnustep-make which means the default behaviour is to install everything into Local. Another advantage of gnustep-make not installing it is that once you create your own /etc/GNUstep/installation- domains.conf file, it will never be overwritten or modified by gnustep-make, so it will be there forever
and used forever.

For all this to work well, though, all GNUstep software needs to always define the
PACKAGE_NAME in GNUmakefiles, as in

 PACKAGE_NAME = gnustep-base

and that needs to happen in all the GNUmakefiles. Otherwise gnustep-make can't know what it is currently installing, so it can't choose the correct default installation domain. :-(

I'll start updating the core packages to have PACKAGE_NAME everywhere.

I'm sorry, to me this still looks too complicated. Instead of having a centralized package "database" somewhere, just check for an optional configuration file (e.g., installation_domain) that is present in the package's directory. If present, its contents becomes the value of GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN, if absent the default installation domain (i.e. LOCAL) is used. That way everybody can easily set up his or her own set of core packages and there is just a minimal change in one place. (Okay, the svn:ignore property of the GNUstep packages might be updated in order to reduce likelihood of somebody accidentally adding this file to the repository ...)

Wolfgang

could be updated to