Re: gnustep back compile problem

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: gnustep back compile problem
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:24:31 +0000

On 7 Jan 2009, at 18:10, Fred Kiefer wrote:

The shape extension should be part of Xext and we already check for that in our configure script. Maybe Ubuntu packages things up differently or
our check isn't sufficient.
Typing something like this at the prompt should tell you where the file
finally came from:

dlocate /usr/include/X11/extensions/shape.h

We could even try to get GNUstep working without that extension, this
will just require some more configuration parameters. Anybody willing to
take this?

The shape extension is a pretty basic part of X11. I don't think I've seen an X server in over a decade that didn't support it. XFixes makes it a lot simpler to use though and allows clipping lists to be stored on the server as an opaque type, and it's largely unrequired with the composite extension. What does GNUstep use the shape extension for? I don't think I've seen any GNUstep apps with holes in windows, and haven't seen anything in GORM for creating them.

David