Re: Impelmenting NSWindows95InterfaceStyle

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Impelmenting NSWindows95InterfaceStyle
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 05:17:51 -0800

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 4:46 AM, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Matt Rice wrote:
>>> Does anybody here want to borrow my (ancient) copy of OpenStep for
>>> Windows to take a look at how NeXT/Apple solved this ? Which is,
>>> to the best of my recollection, precisely as described above.
>>>
>>> -pete.
>>>

>> I have a copy here not all windows have them e.g. inspectors don't,
>> I suspect that it only adds them to windows which respond yes to
>> -canBecomeMainWindow, but didn't go through the trouble of verifying
>> that
>
> Sounds like the right condition to decide whether to add a menu. But
> what should we do in the case, when there isn't a main window? Take for
> example the GSTest application that doesn't display a window on startup.
> Should we only have the context menu of the icon window?
>
>> and if the window is too small to contain the menu it will stack the
>> horizontal menus vertically kind of strangely
>> e.g.
>>
>> file menu2 menu3
>> menu4 menu5

not sure, it doesn't handle this gracefully, upon launching an
application if its associated with a file it'll create a new untitled
one, if its not then the application appears to need some sort of
starting dialog, one application (stickies) similar to affiche, starts
up with a panel, no menu associated with it, but right clicking the
panel brings up a context menu, applications don't have icons outside
of the bar thingy and those supply the default
close/restore/maximize/minimize menu items, so it appears I don't
really have an answer for you...

note that for some applications they have seperate nib files e.g.
IB-nextstep.nib IB-windows.nib so at worst they could just toss a
window which is visible at launch time in the same nib as the menu is
loaded from. really its up to the developer to insure the application
works.