Re: help for packagers (was: Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Hotel / Notes fr

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: help for packagers (was: Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Hotel / Notes from preparing and giving my talk)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:14:18 +0100

my proposal:

- as a first measure we should include a PACKAGERS.readme file into each core package (make, base, gui and back) which:
* contains a pointer to gnustep-packagers@gna.org and discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
* contains a pointer to our bug reporting system (with the hint to report bugs "upstream")
* explains some basic concepts about the respective package
* gives some helpful hints
* what else?

I agree. In fact in December, I added a README.Packaging to gnustep- make (under Documentation), which should include a summary of most of the information needed to package GNUstep stuff. :-)

(feel free to suggest improvements to that file!)

After your comments, I added to the file a reference to the mailing list. I don't think it's a good idea to have a separate mailing list for packagers though, since nobody would be subscribed to it so it's unlikely that help request will get answered. Is it OK to
tell people to ask for help at help-gnustep@gnu.org ?

Maybe the file should go top-level so it's more prominent ?

Thanks