Re: failed to follow gnustep build guide

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: Re: failed to follow gnustep build guide
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 21:47:42 +0800

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

All configure and make are done without error with exactly the same configuration option as given in the guide (not even changing the paths). Now I am at step III "GNUstep Configuration", I found I could not run "defaults" (command not found).
A closer look at the build guide reveal that, although setting $PATH is not instructed as a step to do, it is /mentioned/ somewhere:

   *Tool. *The destinction between Tools and Applications is that Tools
   are in your PATH environment variable.

After setting PATH="/usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools:$PATH" now I can run "defaults", but that just bring another problem:

zhangweiwu@Pyrrhus:~$ defaults write NSGlobalDomain "Local Time Zone"
Asia/Shanghai
defaults: error while loading shared libraries: libgnustep-base.so.1.19: cannot
hangweiwu@Pyrrhus:~$ locate libgnustep-base.so.1.19
/root/GNUstep/gnustep-base-1.19.0/Source/obj/libgnustep-base.so.1.19
/root/GNUstep/gnustep-base-1.19.0/Source/obj/libgnustep-base.so.1.19.0
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-base.so.1.19
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-base.so.1.19.0

I guess this problem again has something to do with environmental variables. But as said, I am a user not a developer, I don't know how library stuff gets loaded & found. Can anyone hint me how to get this thing work? Thanks.

Sorry for the stupid questions but I do feel the build guide is difficult to follow for newbies.