Re: image browser application

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: image browser application
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 11:12:15 +0200

Hi,

> > please have a look at LaternaMagica in the GAP project. It is thought
> > exactly for that, it allows single-window browsing of a list of images
and
> > recursively adds files given a folder. It also has full-screen and image
> > resizing capabilities.
> >

> Hi. Thanks for introducing this software. It seems lacking features
> normal user expect from an image browser, e.g. print an image. Again
Yes, it lacks printing capabilties as for now. The released version is also
0.1.

> maybe in GNUStep the concept is different, e.g. one application does
> only one thing, if it prints image it call services from an image viewer
> like Preview.app, is it right?

This is correct, I do not like mega-applications. PRICE
(http://price.sf.net) is currently capable of printing and I use that,
albeit it is a bit rough. I hope to find the time to improve it.

> Thumbnail browsing would also attract users much. However automatic
> thumbnail genreation is a bad idea, I experienced this with nautilus
> especially when there are press-quality pictures that takes minutes to
> thumbnail. I'd consider the Firefox style much more friendly. IN Firefox

Thumbnails are nice but always a problem I use several programs on Mac,
Windows, Unix, all have their problems.
Please be aware that GWorkspace itself can do thumbnails and before
duplicating a file manager functionality into a program, I need to evaluate
that. I think it is an interface error, but of course here we are about
borderline. In nay case it is not one of the features I'm workingon
currently for LaternaMagica.

Riccardo