Re: to make newbie more comfortable and easier to glance: suggestion on

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: to make newbie more comfortable and easier to glance: suggestion on change frontpage of gap
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 01:46:08 +0200

Hi Riccardo,

I second Zhang's view. A short description would give visitors - who aren't gnustep old stagers - an idea what "GAP" and all the other stuff on that page is about. Even if the frontpage is considered just a quick acces page.

I think it would also help with regard to search engines which then would be able to display a short text in their search results.

The non released project should get a label that says "coming soon" or similar IMHO.

Take for instance a website like http://unsanity.com/ who also offer (although commercial) software (this is only an example of how such a page can be done, not an advertisement for them). They have a similar setup like GAP. Their frontpage has a *detailed* 'news' section so that regular visitors get a quick impression what happened. Their 'products' page http://www.unsanity.com/products/ lists not only the names of the apps they're selling, but also a short description of those. Or would you have known what for instance their "silk" or "mighty mouse" is for without having a *short* introduction first?

regards,

        Lars