Installing GNUstep-base on OS X 10.3.9

From: address@hidden
Subject: Installing GNUstep-base on OS X 10.3.9
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:08:44 -0400

Hello everyone!!

I've been working for 2 months trying to get GNUstep installed on an Indigo
iBook running OS X 10.3.9

I have gcc 3.3.5 installed, gnustep-make, gnustep-base, and a good majority
of the dependencies either from source or fink.

By now it seems that I've got the congifure scripts recognizing both
libraries and includes for libffi, libjpeg, and libtiff, with this one
exception...the gnustep-gui configure is getting hung with the following
error:

    - - -
    checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... yes
    checking for main in -lz... yes
    checking tiffio.h usability... yes
    checking tiffio.h presence... yes
    checking for tiffio.h... yes
    checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff... no
    configure: WARNING: Cannot find libtiff header and/or library
    * The GUI library reqiures the TIFF library
    * Use --with-tiff-library to specify the tiff library
    * directory if it is not in the usual place(s)
    * You may also have to specify --with-jpeg-library if the jpeg
    * library is needed by tiff,
    configure: error: gnustep-gui will not compile without tiff

"grep TIFFReadScanLine *" shows  tiffio.h contains the following definition
    extern  int TIFFReadScanline(TIFF*, tdata_t, uint32, tsample_t);
and that almost all of the libraries have some reference to
"TIFFReadScanLine"

http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE