Re: ANN: GShisen 1.3.0

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: ANN: GShisen 1.3.0
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:03:23 -0700 (PDT)

On 6 Jul., 16:51, Stefan Bidigaray <stefanb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 7:51 AM, h...@computer.org <h...@computer.org> wrote:
> > as a GNUstep AppStore?
> > I.e. a downloader App that looks for new versions and offers to
> > download/install them from the links to binaries or sources in the
> > SWI?
>
> I like the idea, but I wonder how that would work with the package
> management model in *nix.

If done correctly, they don't interfere. And, I have not seen any
package management system of any Linux distro that provides more than
some basic packages like Base, GUI, Gorm. But I may be wrong.

> I mostly use it as a way to find new applications... I then go to the
> website and find out if the version in the SWI is the latest.  My experience
> with it is that it gets out-dated rather fast.

Well, it is a collaborative tool - it is not intelligent by itself. It
is not a robot or something.
There is a simple "Click here to fix it!" link in SWI. So, please if
you find a newer version of anything, please add.

You can do it as user as well as author.

> While on on the subject of thing I don't like about the SWI... I also don't
> like how it sorts by last updated.  I really don't need to see the previous
> update of GNUstep-back (for example).  In my opinion, it should just replace
> the entry and move it to top, so that you can't ever have the same
> application showing in the same page.  You can sift through versions inside
> the application's page (like you can already do now).

Hm. I am not sure if this easily fits into the concept. It is not just
a simple list of apps showing the latest version of each one and
throwing away the older ones. It is designed as a newsticker / feed
where you see all messages sorted by date. If someone makes small
incremental comments, you will see several to the same topic.

I also think that it is a matter of traffic. The archetype it tries to
follow is www.versiontracker.com which has the same effect - but
approx. 30 new entries per day so that you simply don't see the older
ones.

But everything can be changed - it is open source and volunteers to
work are welcome.

Nikolaus