Re: How to add support for my language?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: How to add support for my language?
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:03:50 +0200

Csanyi Pal wrote:
> how can one add support for his/her first language in GNUstep?
>
> I wish to have menus in Gorm in Hungarian language!

Hi Paul,

when adding support for a new language to a GNustep application you have
to start from the base libraries, as strings from there may be used by
the application. Go into base/Resources and copy the whole directory
English.lproj as Hungarian.lproj. Then you need to translate the text in
the Localizable.strings file. You will also have to add Hungarian as a
language to the list in the GNUmake file. (The overall language settings
for Hungarian are already there, so you don't need to add them)

Next do the same in gui, here things get a bit more complicated, as
beside the same Localizable.strings file the Panels directory also
should get translated. I tried that some time ago, but when saving any
of the translated gorm files I get a segmentation fault from Gorm. I
should investigate that further but never found the time.

Finally you do the same translations for Gorm itself but I am not
familiar with that.

You should be aware though that the last time somebody tried to use
GNUstep with Hungarian there was a problem with printing see bug report
#9001. This may be corrected by using the cairo backend.

Cheers
Fred