Re: General question about GNUStep

From: Simeon Mitev
Subject: Re: General question about GNUStep
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:04:29 +0200

It looks like I will go back to C++ or Java for the server, Hessian or my own custom low level protocol based on TCP/UDP packets and Objective C for the client. Actually, I am not going to program a library or even framework which will force me to make it universal. It is a game with predefined messages (invocations) and events.

Let me just put you out of your future misery now: it's impossible.
The communication protocol is so fucking different that Apple
server-GNUstep client/GNUstep server-Apple communication client is
like Fox News praising Obama's every move. You'ld have to use GNUstep
or Apple for both ends.

However, since this issue comes up every now and then, why not add the
ability to detect an Apple client to our NSConnection (provided we
reverse-engineer their protocol of course), and the ability to connect
to an Apple server to our NSProxy? Could this really be that hard? Cuz
I'm thinking the hardest part would be cracking the Apple DO protocol.
With that outta the way having a multi-protocol implementation doesn't
seem difficult. Thoughts?