Re: Building some extra libs (renaissance, gnustep-guile,

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Building some extra libs (renaissance, gnustep-guile,
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 13:00:11 +0100

On 1 Oct 2009, at 11:54, Pablo Giménez wrote:

Hi
After been able to build the core packages now I face the extra libs.
Well I have tried to build some of them, I have to admit whithout luck, here are my problems:
- Renaissance 0.8.0:

I checked in svn ... the author made a 0.9.0 release 18 months ago, but didn't update the website, and since then there are several improvements/fixes in svn. You should use the version from svn (which does work with the more recent versions of GNUstep).

- gnustep-guile 1.1.4:

This is an old library, and you need an old version of GNUstep (and old version of Guile) to build and run it.

- StepTalk:

Also old ... you might want to port this to the more recent releases though?

- SQLClient 1.3.0
I can't configure the package I am trying with the next configure statement: ./configure --disable-jdbc-bundle --with-additional-include=-I/usr/ include

Just running ./configure should be sufficient, though the options you used should do no harm.

but it can't find the includes for mysql, postgres ans sqlite. I have checked and all of them are in the /usr/iclude as usual.

Then you need to look at output/log file from the configure script ... it should record why the headers don't work.
The usual reasons for headers not being found are:

1. development packages for the databases not installed on the system (obviously the packages need to be installed)
or
2. headers not in /urs/include (perhaps in a subdirectory or in another header directory ... in which case you need to use --with- additional-include= to specify the correct directories.