Re: GNUStep/ WindowMaker hinders menu pulldown capability

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUStep/ WindowMaker hinders menu pulldown capability
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 21:44:08 +0200

Newhouse, Richard A schrieb:
> Problem: When "ssh -X" to another Workstation running with gnome,
> GNUstep, and WindowMaker environment, the pull down menus do not get
> displayed with the NightView program.  If I remove
> GNUstep/WindowMaker the NightView pulldowns are displayed.  Both
> workstations are running gnome, GNUstep, and WindowMaker.
>
> Environment: I have 2 Sun workstations running the LINUX operating
> system.   One of the stations (nagoya) has a program called NightView
> (Concurrent debug utility) installed on it.  When I bring NightView
> up on this station everything works correctly.  When I "ssh -X" from
> another workstation (asahi) and bring up NightView, the pull down
> menus do not get displayed when the NightView application is brought
> up.  I've ran "xhost +" on each workstation.  I do get a Warning when
> I use "ssh".  It is as follows:
>
> OUTPUT FROM ssh -X  COMMAND ON asahi to nagoya: asahi{staff}44: ssh
> -X staff@nagoya
>
> Password:
>
> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
> forwarding.
>
> Last login: Wed Sep 16 14:51:00 2009 from 192.168.100.30
>
> Wed Sep 16 15:00:17 CDT 2009
>
> TOP OF LOGIN DISPLAY =  localhost:10.0 access control disabled,
> clients can connect from any host
>
> Starting GNUstep services ...
>
> Xlib: connection to "nagoya:0.0" refused by server
>
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> On asahi I tried some other X apps after I "ssh -x" to nagoya.  For
> example,  /usr/X11R6/bin/bitmap,  menu pulldowns displayed.
>
> Listed Below are the outputs for "uname -a" on each station:
>
> nagoya:
>
> Linux nagoya 2.6.16.27-0.6-SLERT-10-13-trace #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan
> 19 20:32:13 EST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> asahi:
>
> Linux asahi 2.6.16.60-0.21-smp #1 SMP Tue May 6 12:41:02 UTC 2008
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> The gnu versions are as follows: gnu/Version:
>
> # The gcc version required to compile the library.
> GNUSTEP_GUI_GCC=2.9.5
>
> # Versions for libraries that gnustep-gui is dependent upon
> GNUSTEP_GUI_BASE=1.11.0 GNUSTEP_GUI_LIBTIFF=3.4
>
> # The version number of this release. GNUSTEP_GUI_MAJOR_VERSION=0
> GNUSTEP_GUI_MINOR_VERSION=10 GNUSTEP_GUI_SUBMINOR_VERSION=3 # numeric
> value should match above VERSION_NUMBER=010.3
> ---------------------------------------------------------- core/back
> Version = 010.3
> ---------------------------------------------------------- core/base
> Version = 112.0
> Version = GNUSTEP_MAKE_MAJOR_VERSION=1 GNUSTEP_MAKE_MINOR_VERSION=12
> WindowMaker Version = 0.920

The versions of GNUstep you are using are rather outdated. It surely
would be worthwhile to bring them up to date.

What I don't understand is how GNUstep comes into play in your problem.
Is NightView a GNUstep application? If not, than it is rather a
WindowMaker problem, which should be reported on a Window Maker mailing
list.

Fred