Re: GNUstep and compositing?

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: GNUstep and compositing?
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 13:00:04 -0600

El dom, 01-11-2009 a las 17:04 +0100, Fred Kiefer escribió:

> Looks like I am having some difficulties to understand the difference of
> you positions. As far as I understand Riccardo he is offering you an
> application that does exactly what you want. Why do you insist on
> writing a new one. Of course writing duplicate applications is perfectly
> fine for me, but it will be hard to request changes to GNUstep for that
> application, when there is another one that works without changing GNUstep.
> The only difference that I see is that your GSTaskBar seems to be able
> to manage none GNUstep applications as well. Why would that be needed
> and how does it work?
>
> Or what is it that I am missing here?
>
> Fred
> (completely confused)

My point is that an end user (a boy, a teacher, ...) should not be
confronted with the problem of how to handle the appIcons and
miniWindows on his desktop (Gnome, KDE, xfce, ...) and much less having
to learn about another application (GWorkspace, although I'm sure this
can not handle AppIcons and MiniWindows). If GNUstep provides GSTaskBar,
then the user only needs to adjust GSUseGSTaskBar = YES, and that's all.
And if he want, he can configure it (and of course this is much easier
than learn to use GWorkspace). To default the GSTaskBar can put the
icons and miniwindows at the left some pixels above of the lower left
corner (maybe 100 or 150), and added the new icons to the upwards. With
this position there isn't problem on gnome, and kde, and in many others
desktops. And with a size of 32x32 or 24x24, in this way people with a
resolution of 1024x768 will have small icons. But of course, he can
change this.

How work it? Easy

This requires a tool called GSTB registered with GSTaskBar name, this
tool only have three methods

- (NSArray *)setWindow: (NSWindow *)aWindow;
- (void)removeWindow: (NSWindow *)aWindow;
- (NSNumber *)getSizeWindow;

the first method provide on an array the X and Y coordinates of the
lower left corner of an icon and the size. Then when NSApplication make
the AppIcon (and GSUseGSTaskBar is YES) this ask for the data at
GSTaskBar process. And when the NSAplication is terminated call the
method removeWindow: to release the position in the taskbar. And the
same on NSWindow when minimize or deminimize a window. Of course there
are changes on NSAppIconView and NSMiniWindowView to change the size of
the images. But I suppose that this is more easy to do with a variable
call _iconSize instead are calling [GSCurrentServer() iconSize] or
GSTaskBar process each time, with this only two methods needs changes. I
don't know how much generic is this way. I will send you a patch if you
want see how I implement this. And I file with the tool. (I have this
now but with an horrible style)