Re: GNUstep and compositing?

From: Truls Becken
Subject: Re: GNUstep and compositing?
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 19:51:44 +0100

Germán Arias wrote:

>> Another issue is that this protocol does not allow the taskbar to be
>> moved or hidden, which also means it cannot implement layers. Would it
>> be feasible to add a way to tell running applications to move or hide
>> specific icons?
>
> Well you can configure the position and size of taskbar. But no more

I see now that the taskbar is more like the row of icons at the bottom
screen edge on a NeXT system, and does not try to be a dock.

>> How would one avoid screen flicker when moving a dock
>> that holds icons from a dozen different apps?
>
> I don't understand what are you talking about

This was assuming the user was allowed to move the taskbar (dock) at
any time using the mouse. Since tiles are managed by their respective
applications, I was afraid it would lead to quite a lot of flicker.
Even the GWorkspace Fiend flickers like this, IIRC, because each tile
is a separate window, even though in this case all windows are
controlled by the same application.

>> Then, if applications displayed icons *only* if a process had
>> registered for managing them, things would start to look really bright
>> since fiddling with defaults would no longer be necessary.
>
> I think that is better if GSUseGSTaskBar is YES to default (because most
> people don't use WindowMaker)

I guess GSUseGSTaskBar also plays nice with WindowMaker because of
UseWindowMakerIcons, which with its default value of YES makes sure
GSTB never comes into play. Correct?

There is still the problem that most non-WindowMaker users do not want
to see AppIcons and MiniWindows at all, I think, but having them
organized in a row that respects NETWM struts and the Windows taskbar
definitely is an improvement.

-Truls