Re: UIKit?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: UIKit?
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 12:37:51 -0800 (PST)

On 2 Jan., 19:03, David Chisnall <thera...@sucs.org> wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2010, at 16:53, h...@computer.org wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, it isn't. The main reason is that iPhone Apps don't use
> > GUI (AppKit) but UIKit (which is similar but more a cousin than a
> > twin) and heavily rely on CoreGraphics, CoreAnimation and OpenGL-ES.
> > Neither API is available through GNUstep or mySTEP.
>
> Not true.  We have Opal, currently in Étoilé svn, which is an

Is Etoile the same as GNUstep or something different? Although I
follow this topic for years I did never completely understand the
relationship.

> implementation of CoreGraphics.  Gregory was getting the original
> author to sign copyright assignment so that we could move it upstream
> to GNUstep, but I'm not sure what the status of this is.
>
> Eric has been working on this over Christmas and has now implemented
> things like CGLayer, which is used to implement the low-level bits of
> CoreAnimation.  He's also been working on making -gui issue GC* calls
> instead of DPS* calls, so that we can use Opal for drawing and just
> leave -back handling window creation and event generation (something
> we discussed with Fred at the Étoilé hackathon last spring).

Ah, interesting things. If they can become part of GNUstep svn this
will be great.

Additionally, we should find a way to make such work better known and
coordinated (FOSDEM?) or people like me will spread false assumptions
that something (like Opal) is *not available* in GNUstep.

Nikolaus