Opal/CoreGraphics (was Re: UIKit?)

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Opal/CoreGraphics (was Re: UIKit?)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 16:04:17 -0700

Hey,

As David mentioned, I implemented a bit more of Opal over the holidays
(transparency layers, and CGLayer). I think Balaton's approach of implementing
CoreGraphics as a thin wrapper over Cairo is the right choice in terms of
performance (should be excellent, especially with Cairo's new OpenGL compositor
backend under development), completeness/output quality (should closely match
Apple's), and feasibility/minimal development effort. It currently implements a
fairly large subset of CG and is under 4k lines of code. I'll move it to the
/dev-libs directory in GNUstep SVN soon.

There are a few ways we could use Opal in GNUstep. The possibility I am
currently exploring (planning to put in a branch in svn) is modifying -gui to
use CoreGraphics directly. This would entail making Opal a dependency of -gui,
eliminating the Display PostScript api between -gui and -back. -back would be
reduced to the xlib and Win32 window server code. At the cost of not having a
choice of graphics backend, this could make the code in -gui clearer, improve
performance, and make possible a CoreAnimation implementation and porting a
larger set of OS X applications.

Regards,

Eric