Re: Best way to install cutting edge GnuStep distribution

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Best way to install cutting edge GnuStep distribution
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 23:05:25 +0100

Am 10.02.2010 um 00:07 schrieb Dr Slivnik Tomaž MA (Cantab) PhD (Cantab) FTICA:

What is the best/quickest/easiest/smoothest way to get a cutting edge GnuStep distribution running on my machine?

I have Debian 5.0.3 running in a virtual machine with all the GnuStep packages installed but they seem rather old. Does it matter if I manually build my own GnuStep installation on top of this? I'm guessing doing so will interfere with the Debian package management system and break things down the line.

This is how I did update GNUstep on an Ubuntu 8.10 about a year ago (GNUstep was already installed from their package manager):

mkdir GNUstep-install
cd GNUstep-install/
svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules

cd modules

# I want to install in System to replace what came with Ubuntu
sudo cp core/make/installation-domais.conf /etc/GNUstep/

sudo vi /etc/GNUstep/installation-domais.conf
# add renaissance, gdl2

cd core/make/
./configure --with-layout=fhs-system
make
sudo make install

# put the sourcing of GNUstep.sh into bash.bashrc so it also work for root
sudo vi /etc/bash.bashrc

# add the following two lines:
# Setup for the GNUstep environment
. /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

# alternatively do:
sudo ln -s /usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh /etc/profile.d/ GNUstep.sh

cd ../base/
./configure
make
sudo make install

cd ../gui/
./configure
make
#make LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
sudo make install

cd ../back/
./configure --enable-graphics=art --with-name=art
# alternatively do:
./configure --enable-server=x11 --enable-graphics=cairo --with- name=cairo
make
sudo make install
defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSBackend libgnustep-art
# alternatively do:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain GSBackend libgnustep-cairo

cd ../../dev-libs/renaissance/
# sudo doesn't work here because everything from GNUstep.sh is missing
sudo su -
cd /home/gnustep/Desktop/GNUstep-install/modules/dev-libs/renaissance/
make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install
exit
sudo -E make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install

cd ../../dev-apps/gorm/
make
sudo su -
cd /home/gnustep/Desktop/GNUstep-install/modules/dev-apps/gorm/
make install
exit
sudo -E make install

cd ../../dev-libs/gdl2/
./configure
make
sudo make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install

sudo su -
cd /home/gnustep/Desktop/GNUstep-install/modules/dev-apps/projectcenter/
make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install
exit
cd ../../dev-apps/projectcenter/
sudo -E make GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install

cd ~

openapp Gorm
openapp DBModeler

Are there more current pre-built packages for another platform I can easily install in a VM?

Does GnuStep run on MINIX (or, as I am guessing, there is the same issue of no support for threads and shared memory which break Gnome and KDE running there)?

Tomaž

regards,

        Lars