Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24

From: J. Jordan
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 14:29:08 +0100

Gregory,

I am not saying GNUstep should be just OpenStep, it should be an evolution of OpenStep taking advantage of advancements in Open Source software. Tying GNUstep to OSX means eliminating much of the usefulness and functionality which Apple has given up in pursuit of popularity. Apple's switch from vertical to horizontal menus was not driven by improvement, it was driven by usability studies of Windows trained users and in the process eliminated very useful tear-of menus. I went out and bought two MACs when I saw OSX then they started tearing out functions and throwing them away so I sold my MACs and went to a pure Linux household. OSX has gone off on a tangent trying to enforce Apples vision of how a desktop should look and how a desktop should operate, eliminating all choice in the process. Apple writes software to sell hardware. I would also be fearful of making GNUstep too much like OSX which is produced by one of the most litigation-happy corporations in history.

Glade is a development environment with which you build GTK and Gnome applications, Xcode is a development environment with which you build OSX applications.

I would say that GNUstep is a "Desktop" and that a PART of that desktop is a rich development environment. WindowMaker is not a desktop it is a Window Manager. I can't get past the flowers on Etoile to figure out what it is.

Don't think for minute that I don't appreciate your efforts, I am pleased with the current usability of the GNUstep environment compared to 5 years ago but I dream of a day when I have a purely GNUstep desktop with everything written in Objective-C or C where I can modify every application using Gorm and Project Center and do everything I need to do without needing to resort to things like OpenOffice or FireFox.

-j