Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24

From: J. Jordan
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:51:29 +0100

Nicolas,

I recoginze that this disscussion comes up every few years/months and it usually alienates a lot of developers and users. Perhaps it would be less confusing if gnustep.org didn't have an applications section and if there was not a gnustep applications mailiing list since there are not supposed to be any applications. But that kind of brings me back to the question of what are you supposed to do with a development environment that is not supposed to develop any applicaions?

I see your point about QT and there are QT apps out there but KDE very quickly took up the title of Desktop Enviroment based on QT. GAP is just a few applications at the moment, they are doing good things but I don't get the impression they are building a desktop. Backbone has been dead for many years. There are many good applications out there built on the GNUstep libraries, it is confusing if you say I should not call those GNUstep applications. So I guess what we need is a name for everything GNUstep is not, LastStep, OtherStep, I don't know, should be something catchy and still pay tribute to NeXTstep roots.

Sorry I bothered you, I was just trying to drum up some interest in GNUstep (or whatever I am supposed to call it), guess that is not what you want. I'll stick to the apps-gnustep mailing list in the future but of course there aren't supposed to be any apps so I'm sure you can ban me from there if you wish.

-j