Re: libobjc2 release?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: libobjc2 release?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:37:12 +0000

On 15 Mar 2010, at 15:32, Pete French wrote:

> Ah, OK - thats actually an improvement I think, much like when they decided
> to remove perl from the base system. I did see somewhere that there was
> a project to ditch all of GCC and replace it with clang in the base system
> too, which would be nice.

Yup, it's part of the same thing.  Currently, libobjc in the base system is the
only thing that doesn't compile with clang (because clang doesn't implement an
option specifically designed to give information about the ABI to libobjc, for
use in a code path that no one sane actually uses, and I can't be bothered to
implement such a pointless feature).

The other problem is that, even if it did, the libobjc in the base system has
the old runtime exemption which only applies to code compiled with GCC, and if
Clang is the system compiler then this is far from ideal because it means all
ObjC code compiled with Clang would be GPLv2.

The simplest way around this for the FreeBSD folks is to strip libobjc from the
base system, move it into ports, and then you can install GCC libobjc if you
install GCC, or libobjc2 if you don't.

David

-- Sent from my Apple II