Re: Relocatable packages

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Relocatable packages
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:19:29 +0100

On 21 Jun 2010, at 07:18, German Arias wrote:

> Thanks for your help. Now I have GNUstep installed on my home directory, and
> I can work with it without conflict with my standar GNUstep installation. Now
> I have another question. When I move the gnustep dir to another place on my
> personal directory, I can work again with this after change the paths on
> GNUstep.conf. But, as my target is make a precompiled package, I would like
> the user just untar the app and he can run this. Of course, I can set the
> appropriate paths with an script. But there is a way to avoid this? The
> documentation say:
>
> "If you wish to lock down a production system for distribution as a
> relocatable package, so it can be installed anywhere, but users can't
> accidentally change the config file and mess up paths, you can specify the
> config file name as a path with a trailing slash so that the base library
> will not read it, and will use the builtin default values.
> To do this, you would configure using the options
> --with-config-file=not-used/ and --with-default-file=myConfig where myConfig
> is a file containing the paths you want to use relative to the location the
> base library gets installed in."

This paragraph is meant to be for 'if you wish to lock down' the system... so
it almost certainly doesn't apply to you.  Looks like it got mixed up with the
relocation code.

> First of all, I think is "--with-default-config=myConfig" not
> "--with-default-file=myConfig".

Thanks for spotting that mistake ... I fixed it in svn, along with rewriting a
bit to clarify (I hope).

> But this don't work to me. Maybe I misunderstand this. myConfig can be placed
> in any dir, because only will be used on the configuration, right? and the
> path of this file isn't important.

Yes.

> But now my question is about the relative paths. For example if gnustep-base
> is installed on $HOME/MYGNUstep/Local/Libraries/ and the apps on
> &HOME/MyGNUstep/Local/Applications. The relative paths to apps would be:
>
> ../Applications

Yes, that's right. (though base would normally be in Local/Library/Libraries
rather than Local/Libraries, so the path to apps would be ../../Applications).

You can do 'configure --help' for more information.