Re: Problem with some characters

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Problem with some characters
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:32:23 +0200

Am 10.09.2010 20:22, schrieb Germán Arias:
> On Ink and others GNUstep's apps, I can't write characters like:
>
> ÁÉÍÓÚ
>
> I don't know if this is a problem on my configuration or currently
> GNUstep can't support this characters. Any suggestion? I'm using cairo
> backend.

The current way how we test whether a cairo (or rather fontconfig) font
supports a character is horribly broken. As is the whole way we deal
with characters and glyphs in that backend. The result is that
characters get reported back as being supported by a font although they
aren't. That way the font replacement code that is already in gui wont
kick in here.
The simplest way to work around this is to use fonts that actually
supply all the characters you might use. An even better way to fix this
is to rewrite the glyph handling of the GNUstep cairo backend to move
away from the cairo toy font implementation.

Fred