Reflections

From: Stefan Elwesthål
Subject: Reflections
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:14:37 +0100

Hi all,

This has been an intensive first time GNUstep weekend for me. I wouldn't say I'm all there, but WindowMaker and Gworkspace works, although it restarts a little too often ;)
I would like to get a more "clean" dekstop, but will continue my reading about GWorkspace and also give Etoile a try.

Anyway, what I missed mostly was a guide for setting everything up. Now, I only tried Ubuntu and not windows (yet) but will see if I can get the time to write something, a step-by-step guide that anyone curious could follow, at least on Ubuntu. Anyway, I might see if I could get some theming to work first, to get it a little bit more attractive ;)

Perhaps a Debian image with WM & GWorkspace properly setup from the beginning would help? With some nice polish? Is it doable or still to unstable?

I think GNUstep is a fun project, it's a little bit weird it hasn't got more attraction these days when apple gets more and more successful and Objective-C turned out not to be such an obscure language that nobody cares about anymore. Maybe it's still to weird if you're used to VSStudio/Netbeans/eclipse - but I like it anyway.

Regards and huge thanks
Stefan