Re: GNUstep SoftWare Index - new project home and sources of the tool

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: GNUstep SoftWare Index - new project home and sources of the tool
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 18:45:06 +0100

Hi

Le vendredi 07 janvier 2011 à 18:14 +0100, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller a
écrit :
> Hi,
> GNUstep is such a mature project that every idea is already implemented at
> least once (and sometimes not very good). There is not only the Software Index
> but a Application Wiki. Please see here:
>
>       http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Category:Applications
>
> So we have different solutions for different requirement priorities. A wiki
> is good for
> collaborative editing while a dedicated tool like SWI is better in keeping
> things
> well structured.

Well, if I may, it also means duplication of effort and stale data. In
the wiki SimpleAgenda is at version 0.41, 0.38 in the software index. I
know I could do something about it but why should I have to ?

> Am 07.01.2011 um 17:59 schrieb Banlu Kemiyatorn:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On the other hand, having specialized software means tight control over
> >> form
> >> over resulting displayed page; every page will look the same, and hence
> >> mean
> >> the entire database is easier to browse.
> >> Wiki-templates are not a solution :-)
> >
> > Why using wiki template didn't allow every page to look the same?
> > And if it really is the case, Wiki bot would easily do the job.
>
> Maybe, you can set up some bot that reads out the Software Index and updates
> the Application Wiki?

Or the other way around ? Who will decide what should be updated by a
human being ?

I'm sorry but I think GNUstep's main weakness is it's lack of man power
and I don't think this is helping...

Philippe