Re: GNUstep SoftWare Index - new project home and sources of the tool

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: GNUstep SoftWare Index - new project home and sources of the tool
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 20:22:57 +0100

Am 07.01.2011 um 19:54 schrieb Riccardo Mottola:

> Hi,
>> I don't know that it was locked and I have write access for a long time.
>> As far as I know there simply weren't enough people who were interested
>> in editing the existing wiki. Therefore, there also weren't enough for
>> cleaning a completely open wiki from spam.
>>

> I don't think a wiki access was every refused to any of the developers of
> GNUstep, Etoile, GAP or any gnustep related project.
>> IMHO it is not something political, is just a critical mass issue. If a
>> community is over
>> some critical mass, you can run the Wiki openly and find people to clean it.
>> If not, you have to restrict access by a registration process or the work
>> already
>> invested will be lost.
>>
> Exactly, more than political ideology we must pursue practicality.
>
> As far as the topic goes: SoftwareIndex is an interesting tool. Today many
> people are "app-store" geared. Of course today we have source tarballs. Many
> people use their distribution packages. SO perhaps the concept of an
> app-store is not so important as is an organized, clean directory. I can
> imagine that potential corporate users or in any case people not so
> accustomed to the opensource way of collaborating (e.g. Wiki) might prefer SI.
>
> On the wiki it is of course easier to describe each project more, to have
> more screenshots, to integrate a user-guide, keep some history, etc.
> Discussion is best kept on the mailing list I guess.

> The only real negative thing is the duplicated effort to keep everything
> updated in two places and also the disconnection between the two indices. It
> might be interesting to have a wiki link for each entry in the SI. This would
> be like a "learn more" link.

I think we are discussing what already exists...

SWI has a "home page" link field and it may point right into the Wiki. And it
already does at least for one application:

http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/showdetail.php?app=123

But if there is a better home page, the author may decide to link it there.

And we should not forget that there are already many applications spread out
there and each one has its own home page. So the duplication of effort of
maintaining this is neither solved by a Wiki nor SWI... Both can only link to
the official page (hosted somewhere else) and copy *some* of the information.

BR,
Nikolaus