Re: Associating bundle directories with app

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: Associating bundle directories with app
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:27:04 +0100

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:05:05PM +0000, David Chisnall wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2011, at 13:42, Niels Grewe wrote:
>
> > Also, it is worth noting that there is a freedesktop.org spec
> > [0] for associating mime-types with applications. Maybe we should
> > consider supporting that as well [1] for people who occasionally use GNUstep
> > applications on their whatever-is-considered-fancy-this-week desktop.
>
> I think this would be a nice thing to support, but it's not clear to me from
> scanning the spec that it's possible to correctly handle bundles.  It looks
> like you can define things for directories, or you can define things for
> files with a specific extension, but not for directories with a specific
> extension (although, like most fd.o 'standards' it's missing most of the
> explanation of how it works.

I thought one could do this by adding a glob-pattern to a subclass of
the built-in pseudo-type inode/directory but that does not seem to work.
Apparently nobody thought about the bundle approach to things when
designing that.

> I'm also not really sure how it will interoperate with UTIs.  Maybe someone
> should poke fd.o to adopt UTIs, rather than MIME types, as the core
> representation, since they're more expressive...

UTIs are pretty smart. I'll check whether there are smart people
available at fd.o.

Cheers,

Niels