Re: question about low availability of Mac OS X applications that has Gn

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: question about low availability of Mac OS X applications that has GnuStep edition
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:29:15 -0600

In article <mailman.0.1295849022.17297.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:

As someone who does mostly Mac/iOS development, but keeps his feet wet
with GNUstep, I see the main factors being:

> 3. No proven commercial viability

It's just a non-starter to suggest supporting a platform when you can't
show you'll get significant sales.  The only way you *might* be able to
accomplish it is if you essentially make dedicated, turn-key systems
that have little need to run on Apple hardware.

> 4. Missing API
> 5. Platforms do differ

Even if you convince people to look into supporting it as a contingency
plan, "it's just a re-compilation" is in *no* way a given.

Just about any ObjC developer will be happy to give it a shot . . .
provided you pay enough money for their development efforts!  Simply
offering to by a copy of $20 software (or even $200 software) if it were
available for any specific GNUstep platform isn't going to get you
anywhere.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, astraweb.com,