Re: Adopt a platform today!

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Adopt a platform today!
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:25:04 +0000

On 22 Feb 2011, at 11:25, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2011, at 01:44, David Chisnall wrote:
>
>> On 21 Feb 2011, at 22:39, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> ON FreeBSD/ia32
>>>
>>> 5478 Passed tests
>>> 18 Failed tests
>>> 5 Skipped sets
>>> 1 Dashed hope
>>
>> On the same platform with ICU installed, I get:
>>
>> 5589 Passed tests
>>  3 Failed tests
>>  3 Dashed hopes
>>  1 Skipped set
>>
>> The skipped test appears to be caused by a bug in configure finding OpenSSL
>> and then refusing to use it.
>
> That sounds unlikely (as a starting point it would be good to check the test
> log to see what it says about the skipped set) ... but if so, please can you
> provide a fix for configure on that system.

The skipped set is:

Skipped set:     socket.m:172 ... NSStream SSL support

The system is FreeBSD, so it has openssl installed (part of the base system,
non-options).  The configure test in the SSL directory says:

checking openssl/ssl.h usability... yes
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/ssl.h... yes
checking for CRYPTO_malloc in -lcrypto... yes
checking for main in -lsocket... no
checking for ssl2_clear in -lssl... yes
checking for des_setkey in -lcipher... no
checking for CRYPTO_THREADID_set_callback... no

But, earlier, it said:

checking for libgnutls-config... no
checking for libgnutls - version >= 1.4.0... no
*** The libgnutls-config script installed by libgnutls could not be found
*** If libtgnuls was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path.

You may not want to build base without libgnutls.
Doing so will disable SSL support in the NSStream class.
If you really want to build -base without TLS support,
add --disable-tls to the configure arguments.
configure: WARNING: Missing support for TLS functionality.

So, I'm not sure what is going on here.  It looks like it's finding OpenSSL but
refusing to use it.  If you've got a better explanation, then let me know...

David

-- Sent from my IBM 1620