Re: Failed installing GNUstep-GUI on Debian Squeeze using SVN

From: Csanyi Pal
Subject: Re: Failed installing GNUstep-GUI on Debian Squeeze using SVN
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:23:38 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On 19 Mar 2011, at 16:39, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>
>> Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> writes:

>>> Although this happened when compiling gui it is actually a base issue. :-)
>>> It was just for cases like this that I convinced Richard to move the
>>> test framework into the specific modules. If you try to run the tests
>>> in base, you will notice that the same problem shows up.

>> base/headers/ObjCXX.mm:
>> Failed build:
>>
>> base/NSObject/objc++.mm:
>> Failed build:
>
> I'm guessing these failed because you don't have an Objective-C++
> compiler on your system ... I've modified the test framework to
> (hopefully) refrain from testing Objective-C++ stuff if there's no
> compiler.

After I installed gobjc++-4.4 package on my Debian Squeeze system, I
configured and builded gnustep make again.

>> After this I try to compile again gui but get the error:
>> Linking tool make_services ...
>> /usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
>> /usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzdirect@ZLIB_1.2.2.3'
>> /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-base.so: undefined
>> reference to `gzseek64'
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>
>>> From the error message I would guess that libxml2 requires the zlib,
>>> but GNUstep base wasn't linked against that.
>
> This sounds like a problem in your libxml2 and/or its package
> dependencies ... if it uses the zlib stuff then the packaging system
> should have ensured that the zlib package was already present.
>
> One thing you can try is to make sure you have the zlib-devel package
> installed, then configure and build gnustep-base again

I have installed follows:

$ aptitude show libxml2
Package: libxml2
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.7.8.dfsg-2
Section: libs
Maintainer: Debian XML/SGML Group
<debian-xml-sgml-pkgs@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 1745 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg)

$ aptitude show zlib1g
Package: zlib1g
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1:1.2.3.4.dfsg-3
Section: libs
Maintainer: Mark Brown <broonie@debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 176 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5)

I configured and builded base again and run 'make check' with results:
5543 Passed tests
  11 Dashed hopes
  10 Skipped sets
   4 Failed builds
   1 Failed test

After that I try to configure and build and install gui but still get
errors:

Making all in Tools ...
Making all for tool make_services...
 Linking tool make_services ...
/usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
/usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzdirect@ZLIB_1.2.2.3'
/usr/local/lib/libgnustep-base.so: undefined reference to `gzseek64'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [obj/make_services] Error 1
make[3]: *** [internal-tool-all_] Error 2
make[2]: *** [make_services.all.tool.variables] Error 2
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Error 2

Any advices to go further?

--
Regards, Paul