RE: things that fail to build with gcc and libobjc2

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: things that fail to build with gcc and libobjc2
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 11:39:54 +0200 (CEST)

> Hi,
>
> I recompiled everything yesterday with gcc 4.2.1 and without libobjc2. For
> some of the stuff in the list I sent in the other thread, I have taken it
> from
> svn/cvs since the last releases available releases did not compiled.
> Everything compiled with it with the new gnustep core from svn.
>
> Now I tried again to build everything with gcc again, but with libobjc2. The
> success rate is unfortunately not at 100%.

This is really because these packages are using the "traditional" GNU
Objective-C runtime API
(eg, class_get_super_class()) and have not been updated to support runtimes that
use the "modern" GNU Objective-C runtime API (eg, class_getSuperClass()).

(I'm calling them "traditional" and "modern" because that's how the GCC manual
calls them,
see
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.6.0/gcc/GNU-Objective_002dC-runtime-API.html).

We really should update everything to support the new API. :-)

Thanks